Tomatoes, watermelon and feta are an all-time summer favorite of mine.
The flavors are meant to be together, you know…kind of like PB&J.
The watermelon is so juicy and mixed with sweet and tangy tomatoes is like HEAVEN.
Of course I had to Indianfy this recipe..duh. You can replace the feta with fresh paneer and pile on the heat! Fresh chilies in this would be supper good too!
Also, I’ve added turmeric oil and chili powder to lift up all the ingredients and give them a little zing!
I saw that Bon Appetit posted a similar recipe and used coconut oil instead of olive oil, which sounds amazing! Although, I think a little sesame oil would be nice too!
This time I went ahead and used good quality olive oil, but as always, experiment, do your own thing!
Picture yourself on a patio with a limey margarita this watermelon salad and some sunshine.
Got the picture?
NOW, go make it!
- 4 cups seedless watermelon cut into small cubes
- 2 tomatoes cut into small pieces
- 8 oz. feta or paneer cut into small pieces
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tsp. black peppercorns crushed
- 1 tsp. coriander seeds crushed
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 tsp. mustard seeds
- ½ tsp. turmeric
- ½ tsp. chili powder or red pepper flakes
- salt to taste
- cilantro for garnish
- Heat oil, peppercorns, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, turmeric and chili powder or red pepper flakes over medium low heat for 2-3 minutes until fragrant.
- Set the oil aside to cool slightly, about 2 minutes.
- In a bowl, add watermelon, tomato and feta or paneer and drizzle oil over top. Sprinkle with salt and cilantro toss to combine.
Share this Recipe
So fresh and yummy. It’s like summer on your plate. Love the colors. And I have to say that watermelon is one fruit that mixes very well with tomatoes.
OMG, this may just be my new favourite summer salad! Looks great!
I love how you named this dish! It does look like a really tasty and refreshing salad. I am making this on Saturday. I think this salad would go well with barbequed ribs. 🙂
Watermelon mixed with sweet and tangy tomatoes sound like a delicious prospect to taste. Your recipe looks straightforward and practical. Nice job.
This is absolutely in violation of the “knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit but wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad” principle. However, it looks delicious anyway! Definitely a picnic snack.
Now this seems like something fun for a summer BBQ side dish! Sweet and tangy cheese goes well together, and with the spices sounds delish!
This definitely looks so good! And healthy! But I honestly have not tried watermelons and tomatoes together.
I love this!! Watermelon is so refreshing and yummy…this is perfect for a lovely summer day for sure xx
The flavor combinations of this dish sounds amazing! I need to try this recipe over the summer.