It’s another meatless Monday and today I am leveraging one of my fave Indian dishes with one of my fave American dishes…Chana Masala Pizza!
Chana masala is cooked in a spicy tomato sauce reminiscent of a pizza sauce, however, it’s INIANIFIED, and heaped on to a crispy on the outside and soft on the inside cauliflower crust (naan would be amazing too).
The best part of pizza for me is that it is so versatile – crust and toppings can literally be anything!
In India the pizza slices are topped with lots of paneer, corn, bell peppers and mushrooms! I didn’t want to do a typical Indian pizza (although I do love it – check out my paneer pizza recipe HERE), so I thought why not combine two of my favorite dishes? Pizza and chana masala! aka. Chana Masala Pizza! Just add cheese and you are good to go.
- 3 tbsp. canola oil
- 2 tbsp. fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp. cumin powder
- 1 tbsp. coriander powder
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. garam masala
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1 yellow onion finely minced
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- ½ cup cilantro chopped
- 2-3 green chilies
- 2 tomatoes pureed
- 2 cans chickpeas
- lemon juice to taste
- Salt to taste
- 1 pre-packaged cauliflower crust or crust of choice
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- cilantro to garnish
For the Chana Masala
For the Pizza
- Heat oil in a pot over medium heat. Once hot add onion, cumin, and salt to taste. Cook until onions are soft. 2-3 minutes.
- Add garlic, ginger, cilantro, and green chilies to a food processor and form into a paste. Add mixture to oil and continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- Add coriander, chili powder, and turmeric. Stir.
- Add a little more oil if the pan is looking dry.
- Add pureed tomatoes and chickpeas. Stir. Taste for salt and adjust as necessary.
- Bring to a boil. Once boiled, reduce the heat to low and let simmer uncovered for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- When the masala has thickened taste for seasoning again. Adjust spice and salt as necessary.
- Remove from heat and add lemon juice, garam masala and cilantro. Stir to mix.
- Depending on size of the pizza, spoon 1 to 1 ½ cups of chana masala on to the pizza crust and spread to cover, leaving the edges free for crust.
- Top with cheese and bake in oven according to directions on the pizza crust package.
- Remove from oven and garnish with cilantro.
You can use any dough you like for this pizza! Just follow those baking instructions. Raita and red onion would also be a nice topping to add when you take the pizza out the oven. Check out the “Eats” section for my Raita recipe!
This literally made me drool. I’ve been craving for pizza but it’s my first time to read about Chana Masala Pizza. Isn’t this very spicy?
I love this fusion of Indian and American foods! I really like Chana Masala so I’m sure I would love this pizza!
I love Pizza and this chana masala pizza looks so delicious and I would love to make this at home thanks for this I’ll save your post
Hmmmm this is quite an interesting pizza.. I usually dont like gooey pizza but I may have a try on this one. Just to try something different.
it’s not gooey at all!
My husband actually wants to try the pizza recipe tonight. I’ll let you know how it goes
Oh my! This look so delicious.. Have never tried this before, but will give it a try.. Hope it turns out good.
Channa Masala Pizza sounds great and looks delicious. would love to try it out this recipe. Will complete this weekend evening.
Awesome! I’m a pizza lover but haven’t made an attempt to make any. I must say, I like how this looks and it’s something I could try. Thanks for sharing the recipe.