Ya’ll I am still on this Whole 30 kick!!
A few weeks ago my friend Val brought over Kristen Cavallari’s new cookbook True Roots and I fell in love! The cookbook is refined sugar free, gluten free and dairy free with some BOMB recipes in it.
The thing I loved most about the book is how Kristen talked about living a 80/20 life. 80% healthy, 20% whatever the fuck she wants!
Ever since I started Whole 30 two months ago, I really got to know my body and what it likes and what it doesn’t like.
I realized that I have slight gluten intolerance (I don’t have Celiac though) and grains like rice (white rice is my fave!) just didn’t sit well with me. Whenever I eat those things I get immediately bloated feel heavy and tired. I slimmed down pretty quick by removing those items from my diet. BUT at the same time, I LOVE those things and I am not one to deprive myself – hence, the 80/20 way to live! Thanks Kristen!
Ok – so what does that mean? Basically it means 80% of the time I eat “healthy” – gluten free, dairy free and V low carb. The other 20% of the time I treat myself – so maybe that includes a little pasta, or a sweet treat.
Not a bad way to live, right?
Now, there is no need to worry. The recipes I will continue to post will be fucking delicious; there is NO doubt about that. However, now you can feel GOOD, hell maybe GREAT about eating them.
Take today’s recipe for example. Usually chowder is made with a bunch of flour, butter, cream and white potatoes.
I have taken the base of butter and replaced it with coconut oil and the cream I have replaced with coconut cream so that you still get that thick chowdery feel.
In the meantime, grab yourself a bowl (or two) of this too easy, super light, triple seafood chowder!
Happy Kickoff to summer!
Get to Cooking!