It has been FREEZING here in San Diego lately. I know you think I am complaining but it has been hitting the 40’s here and yeah…that’s cold!
For some reason all the thermostats at my work have been set to 65 degrees and I ‘m sorry, that is too cold for indoors…especially in winter!
Now that I am done bitching…
Since I am internally cold, for what seems like forever, I thought today would be the perfect day to make some soup.
I am a carb fiend…always…so naturally I decided on cheese tortellini in the soup.
My aunt used to make this for my little cousin after school as a quick snack. When I first saw her make this I was weirded out by the tortellini.
Not sure why though…it goes together so well!
Anyways, make this soup by the bucket loads and its store for a week well in the fridge! Xx
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups baby spinach, chopped
- 1 package refrigerated tortellini of your choice (I use three cheese)
- 1 can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp. grated Parmesan
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. basil
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flake
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in large pot over medium heat. Add garlic and onion. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in chicken broth, tomatoes, tortellini, basil, oregano, crushed red pepper, bay leaf and 1 cup water; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until tortellini is cooked through, about 5-6 minutes. Stir in spinach until it begins to wilt, about 2 minutes.
- Top with Parmesan.